CDRouter’s support for bridge mode now makes it possible to test basic Ethernet switching devices, including those that implement 802 .1x for port based authentication. A detailed discussion of testing 802.1x enabled devices with CDRouter can be found in this Testing Guide. Although this Application Note is specific to 802.1x in gateway devices, many of the principles are applicable to devices operating in bridge mode as well.
In the example below the DUT is a managed 8-port Ethernet switch that has ports 1 and 8 in a separate VLAN. Port 8 on the switch is configured with VLAN ID 100 (tagged) and 802.1x port based authentication. Port 8 is connected to CDRouter’s LAN (eth2) while port 1 (also tagged with VLAN 100) is connected to CDRouter’s WAN (eth1). Using this setup CDRouter is capable of testing not only the basic forwarding functionality the DUT, but also the DUT’s 802.1x authenticator functionality. A simple CDRouter configuration based on the following assumptions is provided below.
- Management interface IPv4 address: DHCP
- Management interface IPv6 address: DHCPv6
- Wireless mode: not supported
- Wireless security: not supported
- TR-069 support: no
- 802.1x support: yes, port 8
- VLANs: yes, ports 1 and 8 tagged with VLAN ID 100
# Enable forwarding mode within CDRouter testvar forwardingMode bridge # LAN IPv4 configuration testvar lanInterface eth2 testvar lanType ethernet testvar dhcpClientStart 192.168.1.2 testvar dhcpClientEnd 192.168.1.7 # VLAN configuration testvar lanVlanId 100 testvar lanVlanPriority 1 testvar wanVlanId 100 testvar wanVlanPriority 1 # WAN IPv4 configuration testvar wanInterface eth1 testvar wanMode DHCP testvar wanIspIp 192.168.1.1 testvar wanIspAssignIp 192.168.1.50 # IPv6 configuration testvar supportsIPv6 yes testvar ipv6WanMode DHCP testvar ipv6WanIspIp 3001::1 testvar ipv6WanIspAssignIp 3001::2 testvar ipv6WanIspPrefixLen 64 # 802.1x configuration testvar wanRadiusEnable yes testvar wanRadiusIp 18.104.22.168 testvar wanRadiusSecret qacafe123 # See Application Note on 802.1x testing for more information # on the configuration EAP identities
- CDRouter or CDRouter Multiport
- CDRouter IPv6 (optional, if IPv6 testing is required)
- CDRouter TR-069 (optional, if the DUT supports TR-069)
- Two dedicated Ethernet network interfaces
- One Ethernet switch
- Allows testing of Ethernet switches with CDRouter
- Can be used to verify 802.1x functionality of Ethernet switch
- Great for verifying that Ethernet switch forwards IPv4 and IPv6 traffic properly
- Can be used to verify VLAN capabilities of Ethernet switch
Please see this Testing Guide for more information on bridge mode testing with CDRouter.
A detailed discussion of testing 802.1x enabled devices with CDRouter can be found in this Testing Guide.