Many broadband access devices, including DSL CPE, DOCSIS gateways, and PON ONUs, can be optionally configured in bridge mode. In bridge mode, the access device simply provides connectivity between the service provider’s DSL, DOCSIS, or PON network and the customer premise. A traditional Ethernet-to-Ethernet gateway is then typically connected to the LAN side of the bridged access device.
A Typical Test Setup
In the diagram above, the DUT is assumed to be a DSL CPE in bridge mode, but this same topology is applicable to other broadband access technologies such as DOCSIS and PON. In this example, CDRouter’s WAN interface (eth1) is directly connected to the DSLAM via Ethernet. Likewise, CDRouter’s LAN interface (eth2) is connected via Ethernet to the LAN side of the DUT. A simple CDRouter configuration based on the following assumptions is provided below.
- Management interface IPv4 address: DHCP
- Management interface IPv6 address: DHCPv6
- Wireless mode: not supported
- Wireless security: not supported
- TR-069 support: yes
# Enable forwarding mode within CDRouter testvar forwardingMode bridge # LAN IPv4 configuration testvar lanInterface eth2 testvar lanType ethernet testvar dhcpClientStart 192.168.1.2 testvar dhcpClientEnd 192.168.1.7 # WAN IPv4 configuration testvar wanInterface eth1 testvar wanMode DHCP testvar wanIspIp 192.168.1.1 testvar wanIspAssignIp 192.168.1.50 # IPv6 configuration testvar supportsIPv6 yes testvar ipv6WanMode DHCP testvar ipv6WanIspIp 3001::1 testvar ipv6WanIspAssignIp 3001::2 testvar ipv6WanIspPrefixLen 64 # TR-069 configuration testvar supportsCWMP yes testvar acsIp 126.96.36.199 testvar acsPort 80 testvar acsTransport http testvar acsAuth digest
- CDRouter Base (IPv4)
- CDRouter IPv6 (optional, if IPv6 testing is required)
- CDRouter TR-069 (optional, if the DUT supports TR-069)
- Two dedicated Ethernet network interfaces
- One DSL CPE in bridge mode
- Allows DSL CPE in bridge mode to be tested directly
- Can be used to verify the forwarding functionality of a DSL CPE in bridge for IPv4 and IPv6
- Great for verifying TR-069 client functionality in bridge mode
Please see this Application Note for more information on bridge mode testing with CDRouter.
Additional information on testing broadband access devices operating in traditional gateway mode with CDRouter can be found in the following Application Notes: